Its not usual to add the words ‘safe’ to a recipe but I feel I have to explain or justify adding chicken nuggets to this blog. But when you serve these, kids and adults will never taste their frozen cousins again with the same delight, every chicken nugget that is not this version will disappoint – in fact it has completely turned me off a particular fast foods version that I used to (sad confession) ‘like / love’. As well as the fact that these are made with chicken breast fillet and have nothing added from parts of a chicken that we’d rather forgot existed, they are baked – no deep fat frying, smelly kitchens or added unnecessary fat. This has now been added to the list of “Things you are allowed to cook when friends come over that are not weird or look like you tried too hard”(worst sin for 11 – 14 year olds is a mother who looks like shes tried to hard to impress apparently) – you know the list all kids have. We only had Pizza & Spaghetti Carbonara on this original list, its great to add something else in case, as happened recently YOU CANT SERVE THEM THAT AGAIN – THEY HAD IT THE LAST TIME!
(to serve 4)
5 Chicken Breast fillets, cut into ‘nugget size’ chunks
6 oz bread crumbs
2 eggs lightly blended
2 teaspoons paprika
half cup finely grated Parmesan
4 oz plain flour
- Toast the bread crumbs on a baking tray in a hot oven for 10 / 15 minutes, tossing/turning half way through. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the paprika and Paremsan to the bread crumbs.
- Dip each nugget to coat fully in the plain flour, then dip this into the egg and finally coat in the bread crumb mix.
- When all are completed, cook at 190 for 20/24 minutes – check one of the larger nuggets by cutting in half, should be totally white the whole way through.
- Serve with mayonnaise, BBQ sauce & fries or just on their own. (I suggested doing a sweet chilli dipping sauce which I thought would be lovely, but it was dismissed as ‘trying to hard’ territory.